Tuesday, September 16, 2008

3 Ways to be More Creative

So I was reading an article online discussing three easy ways to be more creative. To summarize the long article up the three main points were:

1. Stress kills brain cells-so relax!
2. Exercise gives new ideas a boost.
3. Get sleep, get answers.

As I was reading I was thinking, how ironic that we as college students, especially as ad majors, are expected to be the brightest of the bunch. We are supposed to be witty, intellectual, and brilliant at all times. Ironically, however, this is the most sleep deprived/unhealthiest time of our lives (I hope of mine anyway.) Think about it-I'm writing this blog at 1 am (I will be getting up soon), I just ate half a pizza with two of my roomates (and washed it down with a mt. dew), and the last time I physically exerted myself was doing laps at Potbellys. It is almost as if we are attempting to make it as hard as possible on ourselves. Imagine the amazing creative talent that we could all possibly have if we would just take care of ourselves a little more (okay maybe a lot more). I probably should've included these 3 steps in my self-action plan; they are way easier to accomplish than my actual steps. I was also thinking about the end of the semester last year-when we were literally living with our groups until 4 am, eating fast food, and not seeing sunlight for days. That's when we expected ourselves to be the most creative-to push out those last great ideas.
So maybe for future reference when you feel you're all burned out of your creative juices-take a nap, eat your veggies, and chillax :)

3 Ways to be More Creative

No comments: