Monday, September 15, 2008

The power of emotion in marketing


I don't know how long these signs have been around for, but last night (ok, 2am this morning) was the first time I had seen one. I was on my way back from Jacksonville, traveling west on lonely I-10 at 2am. As many of you know, there is alot of construction going on as you near Tallahassee. I'm used to seeing the usual orange diamond construction signs "slow down-workers present" (or something like that.) However, last night I saw something different: "Pleaze slow down, my daddy works here."

I was shocked at how much more powerful and, hopefully, effective the message was. It's amazing how the message reaches the drivers in a more meaningful way when people are reminded that a worker someone's "daddy," and to be careful. After some quick research, it seems this campaign began in Sacramento, California.

The power of emotion in marketing

1 comment:

Amanda Gibbs said...

I know! I've seen those in real life and they really are effective. They evoke so much with such a small phrase...way better than Speeding fines doubled when workers present!