Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Corrupted by Communications?

Communications is a field were you absolutely have to love what you do. It's long hours and little pay, and it demands original thinking and mind blowing creativity. Well now I guess I am spoiled. The last year in this major has been dedicated to doing something different, finding my passions. Inspiring people to be passionate themselves. I have changed a lot in the past year, and I would like to say that I've changed for the better.

Well there are some out there who disagree. There are people still, today, right here in our own university, who are ready to kill anyone who dares to suggest they do a creative assignment. Take for example my Language and Culture class. Our assignment is to simply think of a topic that has to do with language and is interesting to our group and do research. There are so many things that we could do with this. We could even make our own language, right?

WRONG. Not one person in that class (Amanda doesn't count, she is one of us) is willing to even consider doing anything (creative or not) until they receive strict guidelines that really won't even be relevant for at least seven more weeks. I was shocked when I found out about this attitude, I'm spoiled, so I'm not used to this stifling atmosphere. Please understand that these students, college students, generation Y, were literally pleading with a SUBSTITUTE teacher to give them more restrictions! Begging to know irrelevant information like how many pages the paper has to be.

Well, fine, I won't judge them because they are different, but I will say this. Grow a pair. If you don't even have the courage to steer away from the traditional high school way of doing class, at least have the guts to tell the actual teacher yourself instead of trying to get a substitute to do it for you.

Corrupted by Communications?

1 comment:

Tom Laughon said...

Wow! This is one sad state of affairs. Maybe we need to invite this class to our class ... at least their professor. If that doesn't work, how about electric shock treatment.