Monday, September 15, 2008

Please excuse my ranting.

If people in Tallahassee only knew the time and frustration, not to mention the money, that they could have saved themselves at the gas pumps over this past weekend...

With hurricane Ike bearing down on the Texas coast Friday, most oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico were evacuated and several refineries along the coast also were. So allll of a sudden, somebody hit the panic button in Tallahassee on Friday afternoon and we had ourselves a huge run on gas (mind you that Florida's fuel reserves were at 100% capacity). Also, take into consideration that the majority of Florida's gasoline supplies, to my knowledge at least, do not come from those refineries over in Texas, but rather it is imported from other countries. And what port does Tallahassee's gas come in from you ask? Well, that would be Jacksonville...

With this knowledge I decided not to rush out to a gas station on Friday and wait in line at Shell for 2 hours to pay $5.50 a gallon. Especially considering the fact that this happened a couple years ago in Tallahassee - everyone panicked, but the following day everyone (including gas stations) went on as normal with no sudden shortage of gas. I listened as the Governor and numerous state officials continually stated, "There is no reason to panic," but here we are no gas all over town except for a few inconvenient convenience stores located all the way across town.

My frustration level was about through the roof as I found myself driving all around town at 11pm last night on E - with that red gas light glaring accusingly at me - just to find enough gas to get into work Monday morning. And who knows when all these gas stations will fill back up because the owners are certainly in no hurry to pay their suppliers the inflated price of gasoline right now. So when everybody blames the gas station owners and says they are just ripping us off, think again friends, because all of those who bought into this unnecessary hysteria that started Friday afternoon are clearly the ones to blame in this situation.

And that's my two cents.

Please excuse my ranting.

4 comments:

Savannah said...

It doesn't just happen in Tallahassee, all over the state of Florida people are going nuts over the lack of gas. Back home some guy cussed out my mom for filling up a gas can for the lawn mower saying "there isn't going to be enough for everyone how dare you try and stock hold!"

Anonymous said...

Same thing is going on over here in the panhandle. All of the Tom Thumb stations between Ft Walton Beach and Pensacola on highway 98 are out of all three grades of gas. The signs have no gas prices at all...eerie.

CraigS said...

I happened to enjoy Friday, as I rode my bike through multiple gas stations with the biggest smile on my face.

Luciano said...

Craig i think you mean "bikecycle" haha