Monday, September 15, 2008

The craziness is whats keeping me sane =)

If I weren't in Creative with you all, I would completely lose my mind......and, for the record, I am in no way exaggerating. I spend my entire Tuesdays before this class in three, long, back-to-back classes that can only be described as the Anti-Creative. Put it this way: If any of you didn't quite grasp Tom's speech on how students are raised to think inside the box, take mindless notes, and only care about grades...then all you need is a field trip to ALL my Tuesday classes!

Now..to be fair, the content of each course is interesting and pretty new to me. I'm taking Human Rights, Early Latin American History, and Language and Culture...all of which I need for my Hispanic Marketing minor. HOWEVER the format and style of each course really, really, really need to be worked on. And although all three courses are quite different, it feels like I'm sitting in the same class ALL day.

Through my adventures in dealing with the Anti-Creative, I've encountered professors who: lecture non-stop, make us read depressingly irrelevant material and force us to complete mindless, busy-work assignments; I've met students who (and I so wish you were all there for this) FREAK OUT when desks are not in straight rows. I kid you not!... and Vanessa can totally vouch for this..On the first day of school we walked into a class where the desks formed somewhat of a sloppy circle. No big deal..but let me tell you our fellow classmates almost lost their minds over this!! They wasted absolutely no time straightening those desks out. It was almost as if their brains couldn't wrap around the idea of classroom intimacy and creativity. They straightened out their desks, sat exactly the same, took notes of nothingness, and completely succumbed to the monotonous mold of regular, boring college student.

This is what I deal with every Tuesday. So needless to say I'm craving this class and all of you by the end of the day!!! And so I guess what I'm really trying to get at is that I love you all. For being so refreshingly different, for inspiring creativity, for having an open mind and interesting conversation. Even the smallest things we do, are enough to save me from a life of dull, regular-boring-student syndrome. So thanks a bunch!

The craziness is whats keeping me sane =)

2 comments:

Tom Laughon said...

Anti-Creative ... what a great word and idea. We should start an Anti-Creative Movement to let the world know of people, places and things to AVOID at all cost because they are known sources that will sap, zap and drain you of all your creativity, spark and spirit.

My first Anti-Creative award goes to all the self appointed "Devil's Advocates" out there. They can kill an idea faster than you can kill a gnat in a bug zapper.

Who else wants to add to this list? Come on ... join the Anti-Creative Movement!

Amanda Gibbs said...

I love it! The Anti-Creative Movement is huge and must be stopped!!

A big Anti-Creative participant are companies/jobs that require their employees to wear ridiculous costumes that they pass off as 'uniforms'!

Its one thing to desire a professional appearance, but its another to make everyone look like clones of each other!!