Monday, September 15, 2008

Strangely Interesting Microsoft Ads

So as we all know by now, Microsoft is in the process of running a new $300 million ad campaign to compete with the "Get a Mac" ads that have boosted Apple sales. Jerry Seinfeld is supposedly making about $10 million for his part in them. When the first commercial came out, many people thought it was very different from the usual Microsoft campaigns. Many people thought that it was stupid because it had nothing to do with Microsoft at all.

I personally love the new Microsoft ads even though I admit that I am an avid follower of whatever Steve Jobs tells me to do (aka Apple user). I feel like Microsoft has never ventured in this direction before. Their new ads are funny, witty, and have nothing to do with Microsoft at all. And even with this, I feel like it changes Microsoft's brand image from somewhat of a stuffy corporate one, to a new young, fresh look.

So while many people look at these commercials as weird and strange, I see them as doing exactly what they're supposed to do. They have successfully made news shows, bloggers, and many other people talk about their product and that is what advertising's all about.

Strangely Interesting Microsoft Ads

1 comment:

carrie said...

omg thank you! i like them too! me and my roommate actually laughed out loud at them, then i got ad age the next day and it was BASHING it! i was shocked... holla i'm glad you like it too!