Monday, September 15, 2008

Snapfish..the new Michaels?

I never posted an "about me" blog because I rather you figure it out by reading my blogs, especially this one. So, how many of you can juggle school and extra activities and still have time to do all their favorite hobbies? If you do, let me know how! It bothers me that I never have time for my hobbies because of school, work, GRE, etc. Whenever I get the chance, though, I love to scrapbook! Pictures are absolutely sacred me. Not only do I work for a photographer (donnanewman.com- check her out because she is amazing!), but I am obsessed with taking pictures. I have boxes of pictures from before digital cameras became big and about a million folders of pictures slowing down my computer. It makes all of your memories last forever and so much is captured by just one shot. I always love to look back to all those embarrassing high school pictures from the awkward stages and just laugh hysterically! A lot of my friends actually call me the paparazzi but they'll thank me one day! So I just don’t take pictures, store, and forget about them but I love to make scrapbooks with them. I have always been a crafty person and scrapbooking has been my outlet for my creativity. I was also always the one in high school with the super colorful agenda and made a collage for every birthday---I kind of still am. Well last night I was almost tempted to limit my creativity. I am actually blogging from back home in Miami and my best friend came over to see me. She started expressing her excitement because she actually started a scrapbook from her Italy trip. She NEVER does anything like this so this was kind of a big deal; I might’ve rubbed off on her. I obviously became extremely excited to see it until she proceeds to go on my computer and login to her Snapfish account. For those of you who don’t know, snapfish.com is a site where you can upload your pictures into albums and make all sorts of projects. What!? You can make an entire scrapbook (up to 100 pages) online then they mail you the final hard copy version for $25 + shipping! OK, I’m not going to lie that the left side of my brain was tested because I definitely contemplated how much time and money I can save by doing it on snapfish. Michaels wouldn’t be so happy with me considering how much money I have spent there through the years! I mean scrapbooking can be expensive especially for an obsessive lover of colorful pages and themed pop up stickers like me. All you have to do is upload the pictures you want in the scrapbook to an album on snapfish, pick the type of scrapbook you’d like (soft or hard cover), the themed background pages (about 10 different options), which layout of the pictures for each page, and then drag and drop the pictures into the page! That’s it! There is really nothing to think about, everything is done for you!! This is how creativity gets so easily limited, because nowadays it’s so easy to have it all done for us. And knowing that the answer to most of our questions can be easily answered by a search engine just gets us lazy…trust me, I am a chronic googler!! But I refuse to give in to snapfish and continue to tap in to that little kindergartener in me that comes out when I scrapbook. In fact, I plan to give my best friend a scrapbook from her 21st birthday weekend as her belated gift…eventually….I guess I should change my objective for my self action plan. :)

Snapfish..the new Michaels?

No comments: