Monday, September 29, 2008

Growing Up in Advertising and The Reverse Graffiti Project.

Now that graduation is looming right around the corner for me (December). I have increasingly ran into the issue of explaining to my family and friends what exactly my major is and what my professional goals are. If your family is anything like mine, you would almost bet that they took part in some unexplainable time warp that took them from the 19th century and plopped them in the midst of new media technology without their knowledge. Facebook and MySpace are not merely social networking tools but rather a covenant for all the identity thieves, pedophiles, and overall criminal scum that is targeting vulnerable, unsuspecting users. You can only imagine the struggle I face when trying to explain to them I would like to start my career in Account Planning with an Advertising firm that focuses on new media and technology.

“Oh oh advertising, like television ads?”

“ No, I don’t want to create TV ads.”

“Like Sales?”

“No, that’s more Marketing. ”

“You’re a business major then?”

I’m always quick to correct them on this one, anyone who has taken Business courses (I suffered through an entire 18 credit minor) knows that communication courses are 10 times more interesting than anything the business school offers.

I’ve settled for just telling them I would like to work for an ad firm and quickly change the subject. So if anyone has mastered the art of advertising job descriptions to those of the cave men era (aka my family)…Holla back!


Also as a side note…. In light of our past assignment, the Clorox Viral campaign, (which Jeff said the majority of us failed miserably at…yea that one! j/k hehe) I have included a link a video Green Works sponsored Reverse Graffiti, a man who has created art from dirt and grime. I think this was the idea behind Viral campaigning, since this was sent to me by a coworker who just found the project really intriguing and had no idea of my previous assignment. Its actually kinda cool....take the time.

No comments: