Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Persepolis



This movie could be described as a coming-of-age story during the Islamic Revolution; it deals with personal as well as historic issues. What’s interesting is that it is told from the perspective of a young girl that doesn’t fully grasp what is going on around her. It’s based on a comic book that’s actually an autobiography of the narrator. I bring this up because 1)it’s playing at the Student Life Building tonight and tomorrow and 2)because she is forced to leave her country to live in France (anything French related catches my attention!).
These next few weeks are going to be so stressful as I decide what my plans are after graduation in the spring. It’s so scary not being able to picture where I’ll be exactly one year from now. Originally, I always thought I’d end up in grad school in the north. But now, I’m about to organize my paperwork to apply to teach in France for a year. Grad school or France? Sure it sounds like a simple decision, everyone I ask is quick to say France. I would be too…until I remember that I’d be living in a region I’ve never been to, adjusting to food and customs that are different from what I’ve grown familiar with, seeing faces that I don’t recognize, and forced to speak strictly French…all by my lonesome.
Luckily, I still have time to freak out. A decision doesn’t need to be made for a couple more months so…until then, I suggest you watch the movie if you get a chance!

Persepolis

No comments: