Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Another Anti-Creative Encounter

So I have to vent again about the Anti-Creative Movement and all it's evil followers.

I have a real problem with working in a place that has strict...and ridiculous...uniforms. I've never went to a school that really had or enforced uniforms, so I've only had to deal with this in my adult life.

My first and longest running (to this day) job naturally has a uniform requirement. Black blazer, black bottoms, suitable shoes, and look neat. It's very reasonable. It upholds the purpose of having uniforms. We look professional and can easily be identified as employees of the company. But at the same time it leaves room for individual creativity. We can wear different tops, different shoes..you name it!

And my job at the elementary school is also very reasonable. We have shirts that we have to wear...and that's it. We can wear whatever color and type of bottoms and shoes and whatever. All that's required is that we wear the shirt specific to that day.

Now my third job...which I do adore....is downright ridiculous when it comes to uniforms. On game days we all have to wear this blah polo with blah khaki pants and blah sneakers. Its no fun. But just when I thought that was bad, I was introduced to the mandatory uniform for regular shifts. I have to wear black tux pants, high collared black button downs, a yucky vest, and hideous kitchen shoes. I honestly feel like Aladdin. And while laughing about it that first day, my boss felt the need to comfort me by saying: 'it's okay everyone has to wear it.' Big mistake. That just showed me how ridiculous everyone looked and how unnecessary it is to have to wear something so specific. There's no room to be creative with your own looks. Just wearing it makes me feel like a mindless worker. So to fix that I've been doing extra unique things. Like wearing crazy curly hair or really funky earrings or wearing my name tag somewhere different, or doing something cool with my hand towel. There all very small details....but they help me feel unique when the job is forcing me to look just like everyone else.....

Another Anti-Creative Encounter

No comments: