Monday, September 15, 2008

Smoking is my Yoga... sorry this is so long


Growing up sucks. As you get older you have to stop indulging and give on things you onced loved to be “responsible”. Recently, I “grew up” and quit smoking.
I hate it. I loved cigarettes, but I know it’s time to “grow up” and be responsible, but I wanted to write this to stick up for smokers everywhere…

Reasons to smoke:
1) social:
I’ve met a lot of great people through smoking, hell it’s practically networking! Do you feel comfortable walking up to a complete stranger and starting a conversation? I do… Smokers love other smokers… I’ve meet a lot of people by asking them for a lighter, it’s people that otherwise I’d be to scared to approach (professors, bosses, hot guys, etc) But when you’re a smoker, it’s you guys against the world, and you know you’ve automatically have something in common. On top of that, you now have them trapped for 5 min (usually they have no where to go)
On top of that, when’s the last time you honestly sat down and took 5 minutes to talk to somebody… not just the hi how are you, blah blah, but truly talk to them. When you smoke a cigarette with somebody you usually talk to them alone outside, and have a real conversation. Each cigg takes about 5 min and you can find out a lot about somebody in 5 min, but if you don’t like them, it’s not painfully long, so really, it’s the perfect networking length! (and when your out you usually have to step outside to smoke, therefore you can officially talk with out screaming and actually get to know each other –crazy concept…)
Which leads me to my next point:

2) Nature:
Have you sat on your back porch lately all alone and looked up at the sky? I have. When I was in high school I would sneak out to my back stoop and smoke a cigg every night. I watched trees grow, bats fly, and was totally alone outside with nature. I loved those moments… if I hadn’t been a smoker, I would have been on the phone, on the computer and I would have never have been in my backyard and appreciated all it had to offer.

3) YOGA… what’s the difference?
Stressed out… do yoga… what actually is yoga… breathing in and out, alone, outside, and thinking… GEE SOUNDS LIKE SMOKING A CIGG TO ME!!!
You breath the smoke in and blow it out… it’s the only time I ever take the time to stop and breath… it allows me to collect my thoughts, brain storm and remain calm cool and collected—people say it’s expensive, ha! I buy 1 pack a week (that’s 3.50) how much does your yoga instructor or your therapist cost?! That’s what I thought…

Ok, ok before I go get assassinated by the “Truth” campaign, I just wanted to say that yes, smoking is bad for you, but so are a lot of things. Tobacco is always viewed as the big bad wolf, but I just wanted to say thanks Marlboro.
You helped me meet my first boyfriend, then you were there when he dumped me, you where there when my mom yelled at me, when I got into college, you helped me make friends at the dorm, get out of lots of sketchy situations, got me breaks at work, and inspired so many of my creative ideas… It’s been fun, and I’ll miss you.

Smoking is my Yoga... sorry this is so long

No comments: