Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mary Jane

I heard this song last night in the car as I was pulling up to my house. Although I had a million and one things to do last night I stayed in the car and sang along to the tune. However as I was singing I started to think about what he was talking about. He is singing about how he is in love with a woman named Mary Jane, but I can't help but think that he is making a reference to marijuana.

He talks about how this woman makes him feel like he is in paradise and she makes his heart sing. I have been in love before but, this guy just seems a bit overboard with how this woman makes him feel. And I can't overlook that it is Rick James, a suspected drug user, but when I was growing up my parents would put this record on in the house and they would slow dance to it. I honestly thought it was a love song, but now I feel as if it is a song about glorifying the use of marijuana. Regardless of what it is I admire Rick James' ability to have song with a double meaning. It is sort of funny how songs have totally different meanings, when you grow up as opposed to when you were young. Can anybody relate, or am I over analyzing this song a bit to much?

Mary Jane

No comments: