Tuesday, January 20, 2009

double your pleasure


Which one are you? The difference we can not see.
The mirror was my twin looking back at me.
So much alike, always linked,
And yet we’re also quite distinct.
There’s so much fun in having two,
With twice as many points of view.
From days of childhood until life is done,
It’s one for two and two for one.

Above is part of a poem I wrote about being a twin. What exactly is it like you ask? It gives you a feeling of uniqueness, but also a feeling of frustration. It gives you someone to depend on for life, but also someone to be compared to. No matter what I do, it’s always looked at as how did Lindsay do or what is she doing. It’s not always the best thing being a twin, but I wouldn’t change it for a thing. I have this special bond that no one else can replace.
When we were younger we created our own language that only the two of us could understand. How does the mind do that? Before even speaking English the two of us would talk to each other our own way. We had our own little world of imagination, we could take anything and turn it into fun. One Halloween we even dressed as double-mint gum from the double your pleasure commercials! We know exactly what the other one is thinking and we usually can feel the pain the other is feeling. It's crazy to look at pictures and home videos and realize that there really is two of you.
I've always known that we would go our separate ways when it came to college because it gets to be that time where we want our own lives, not the "twins" life. We want to experience new things and open up our minds to something different then a life without someone next to you. However, it's as if something is missing that should be here, but ever since we separated to different colleges, my big focus was growing into my own individuality. Being a part of a pair almost makes it a challenge for me to differentiate myself from my sister, we were so much alike growing up. I’m finding my ways creatively and molding myself into who I want to be and how I want to be seen, alone, not as two. While everyone is saying how they want to be a twin, my head is saying, what would life be like if I were a singleton?

double your pleasure

1 comment:

Caitlyn said...

I think your poem was really good. My little sisters are identical twins and everything you said about being a twin, they would completely agree with. I think it was really cool that you guys went separate ways in college, my sisters didn't and i think they should have but they were too afraid to be apart, so i think you are really brave :)