Friday, January 16, 2009

The Snuggie: Taking the World by Storm

Honestly, who has not heard of the Snuggie? Okay, the product itself, I admit, is somewhat innovative. However, the Snuggie ad is anything but. This poorly filmed, poorly acted, poorly designed advertisment falls in line with other "as seen on TV" advertisments, completely devoid of any creativity in presentation. Yet, somehow, someway, the Snuggie is taking the world by storm. This is undoubtedly due to Snuggie's awful but recognizable ad. It is an absolute hit on YouTube, with almost 500,000 views. People stop what they are doing when they hear the Sunggie ad on TV. My friend Morgan had somehow not heard of the Snuggie. So she went into the doctor's office she works at yesterday and asked every patient she saw if they had heard of the Snuggie. She said that almost everytime she asked this question, it resulted with a patient actually quoting the ad! Unbelieveable! I am somewhat sad to say that I have officially fallen victim to this awful ad as of this morning when I purchased...a Snuggie!!!! Not for me, I swear! My friend asked for it for his birthday.

For those of you who are unaware of this phenomenon I speak of, please visit GetSnuggie.com and prepare to be amazed.

The Snuggie: Taking the World by Storm

2 comments:

Julie Kramer said...

My roomate and I have been talking about the snuggie commercial for months now, I am so happy it is finally getting the publicity it deserves. By the way I love your blog title. The other day she told me her stepdad got a red one for Hannukah and I replied "its taking over the world". Coincidence? I think not.

Michela Fleury said...

I remember hearing that the reason this commercial is so popular right now is because the economy is so bad. TV stations need to fill those gaps and because the advertisers are cutting budgets so much,they aren't putting as many ads on TV. So in their place, ads for cheesy products are substituted and the station gets a percentage of sales.
But I must say, late at night when i'm freezing on my couch watching TV, I do wish I had on of these! haha