Monday, January 19, 2009

Why are there so many Heneis' in this bar?!


The companies of Gucci, Costa del Mar, and Burger King have nearly nothing in common, but they all do have a brand perception. I saw this perception theory in full swing at club Mint, a higher class bar in downtown Tallahassee, this Saturday night.
Normally a typical night out for me includes a fairly chill place; Pots, AJ's, and maybe if i'm feeling ambitious, Chubbies. This Saturday I decided to step outside my box and join one of my roommates that was going to club Mint. Unlike most bars in Tallahassee Mint gives a new look and feel to your night of "going out". Sleek booths and Martha Stewart style lighting fixtures give it a more upscale city ambience. Along with a new style bar comes new style people; guys is suit vests with ties and girls in pricey dresses.
As I began to look around I saw that three fourths of the guys in the bar who had beer in their hand, were holding a Heineken. Normally I wouldn't find this awkward, but I nearly never see people in any other bar in Tallahassee with this brand. Laughing I turn to my buddy to make fun of all these people (watch the My New Haircut video and you''ll know why I was laughing), and he just ordered a flipping Heineken! Being best friends with this guy, I know he's not even a big fan of Heineken, but ordered it and was willing to spend the extra two bucks.
"Dude, why did you order that and not just a Bud Light?" I asked.
"I don't really know, everyone else has one so I figured I'd get one to," he replied.
With greatlooking girls eveywhere my mind wandered where it shouldn't......... and began to think about how well Heineken must doing branding there beer, pretty nerdy I know but hey. This high class and dressy crowd must be what they are aiming for, and if it isn't then they should be I thought. People must view Heineken as the beer to drink when trying to be sophisticated and classy. As well as being surprised of this brand perception, I was even more astonished by how quickly people were to purchase a Heineken purely based on the fact that everyone else had one. All in all thought Mint is a pretty fun place and takes you out or your normal "night out" feel. If your night ever takes you to this new place, I urge you to just look around and see the differences of this bar and its crowd compared to others in the Tallahassee area.

Why are there so many Heneis' in this bar?!

1 comment:

Matt said...

It's Matt Reder, I'll try to change my post name now