Tuesday, January 27, 2009

rinse clean and the rest is smooth sailing


If your hair has a voice,
It would surely be a talker.
Accented with jojoba oil and jasmine,
Sydney Smooth Shampoo
Will have your hair saying
"I'm silky smooth and sexy"
In seconds.

Poetry, pure and simple. As a Creative Writing major, I have been taught to find elements of poetry in everything from daffodils to dumpsters. So when I encounter it on a bottle of shampoo, I'm not surprised. Rather, pleased.

It was years ago when I first recognized the mystical world of shower literature. I've always been one for reading labels. And when I'm in the shower, with nothing but steam and my own thoughts, my mind craves something substantial.

I grabbed the new bottle of Aussie shampoo beside me. I snapped open the top and allowed a bottle cap amount of pearly liquid to settle in the palm of my hand. Before massaging it into my scalp, I made sure to check the label. Normally, it's the general lather, rinse, repeat. This time- this bottle- was different. The bottle was packed, from back to front, with stylish phrases. The directions reminded me to "be smooth" and treat my hair "like a red carpet celebrity". I was so fascinated by the bottle copy I postponed the rinse to study all the other bottles in the shower for little poems.

Since that day, a small part of me has longed to write for shampoo bottles. It's a strange desire, I know. There's just something about those descriptions of fragrance blends and frizz-reducing oils that appeals to my poetic side. And even if this dream fails to come true, I know I can always count on Aussie to inspire me to add some roo to my do.

rinse clean and the rest is smooth sailing

No comments: