Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oh the Culture!


This weekend I was more or less blessed with a little visit by the parents. At first I was somewhat dreading the visit, but it really ended up not being that bad. Anyways, when they got here they wanted to cook a Cajun meal for my roommate and me. As they were cooking my dad started telling me all he knew about the Cajun culture and history, etc. And it dawned on me how much a society's food says about their culture. It's like one of those things you've always 'known' but have never really put two and two together. It's awesome!! It's so cool how a society just cooks what they can with what they have and then it turns into the main part of their culture and says so much about them. Or how different cultures have their own flavor (for lack of a better term) for all of their food. I have taken in a whole new appreciation for Anthony Bourdain, Food Network, and Top Chef in a matter of two days. My new food appreciation has also possibly inspired me to learn how to cook... we'll see!

Oh the Culture!

No comments: