Monday, January 19, 2009

Geocache Navigator

With the sudden rise in popularity and availability of personal GPS, the ultimate time capsule/scavenger hunt known as geocache is growing in popularity as well. I had never heard of this geocaching business until just recently. Here is a quick break down of the art of geocache.
There is an international data base that is accessible online through a computer or cell phone at geocachenavigator.com. No worries, no membership required. Any and all are welcome to play. Basically the player chooses an area to search and the database creates a list of coordinates to hidden treasures within the designated zipcode, town, etc. These hidden treasure range from pictures to sharks teeth to pretty much anything. When the player finds the geocache, they are supposed to leave something behind to add to this elusive hidden treasure.
I have a GPS on my phone but I have yet to play for two reasons.
1. I want to document it so I need to find a video camera.
2. I need to come up with something super sweet to leave behind.

Oh, and if anyone wants to join my geocaching quest you are more than welcome! It's going to rock! Just think, the movie might make the box office one day...

Geocache Navigator

3 comments:

JLRich said...

I have been geocaching throughout tallahassee all this semester.

if you need a partner in your treasure hunting adventures. I'd love to have one myself.

Anonymous said...

We use the Trimble GeoNavigator program with my Blackberry to geocache. Really makes it a lot easier, especially having the maps in the field. As far as swag, anything is fine. Lot of times I'll see a dollar or a coupon for a local restaurant. Whatever you want.

Anonymous said...

Don't put it off any longer... go out and have some fun... You can always document your first cache experience with lots of pictures from your phone and well swag... I wouldn't spend too much time worry about that either...