Monday, January 26, 2009

I see Switzerland, I see France, I may see a stranger's underpants?


Since Spring Break is coming upon us, my roommate and I began discussing today what we could possibly do that would be a blast, different, and on a very tight budget. Then it clicked in my head that when I was in Europe this summer I had met some people who were staying all around Europe for free on people's couches. They told me about a website, couchsurfing.com, where you can find people all over the world who take in people for a few nights on their couch. So while discussing the Spring Break plans, we decided to check the website out.. 'why not?'. Not knowing what to expect we went to the site and found it truly amazing. People from ALL over the world register on this website and have a profile for people to check out if they are interested in staying with them. On the profile the 'Free Couch' has pictures, information about themselves, and there is even a reference system where people who have stayed with them before leave comments about their stay. People from all walks of life are registered- students, married couples, older people, young people, etc. - all willing to take you in. We have decided to take advantage of a free couch and will be staying with a 24 year old tour guide in San Juan, Puerto Rico this spring break. I hope her couch is comfortable. Yay!

I see Switzerland, I see France, I may see a stranger's underpants?

1 comment:

Megan said...

this is a truly alternative approach to world travel, i love it! Please tell me all about how your trip turns out.